Intensive English Program (IEP)
NPU's Intensive English Program has received accreditation from The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation.
NPU's IEP is now admitting F-1 international students for 2022.
The IEP at NPU has Listening and Speaking, Reading, Writing, and Grammar courses at 7 levels. Each course is 5 hours in class per week for 8 weeks, making a total of 40 hours per course. Classes are student-centered and focus on fluency and accuracy in communication. Our interactive classes never have more than 15 students, giving each student individual attention and the opportunity to improve conversational skills.
The Chief Academic Officer, ESL Administrator, and IEP faculty members are responsible for the IEP’s academic affairs.
The IEP is open to non-native speakers of English who want to improve their English language skills quickly. This program is designed for students preparing for university study, working professionals, and learners who want to increase their ability to communicate in English in general.
Intensive English Program Objectives
- Students will develop fluency and accuracy in both spoken and written English.
- Students will develop effective oral communication strategies to interpret auditory input and express concrete and abstract ideas, in formal as well as informal settings, and with increasingly native-like pronunciation.
- Students will demonstrate comprehension of a variety of texts of increasing complexity, evaluate texts using critical reading skills, and identify useful and reliable sources when doing research.
- Students will write sentences, paragraphs, and essays using connecting expressions and developing ideas with supporting evidence; follow the conventions of standard paragraph and essay format; and synthesize and cite information from various sources.
- Students will accurately use grammatical structures of greater complexity as well as employ vocabulary of increasing variety and precision.